Since 2011, a total of 63 local and international films have been shown to an audience of roughly 6,000 people, including six archival films of North Borneo from as early as 1907. The power of the moving image is undeniable, and underpins our conviction that stories and messages shared on the big screen can inspire and drive change towards a better future. Each year, films are hand-picked by our team in partnership with other film programmers from around the world. We make special effort to ensure that film transcripts are translated and films subtitled in Bahasa Malaysia. These films are meant to be thought-provoking to local audiences; they push the boundaries of filmmaking and storytelling, bridge distant histories with contemporary aspirations for the future, and celebrate diversity.
Another big part of our cinema experience is the invited speakers representing indigenous people, scientists, conservationists, government and civil society take to the stage to introduce a film by sharing their thoughts on how the story resonates with them, and for Sabah as a whole.
This year’s BEFF special appearance include Iara Lee & William Lee (Director & Pre-Production Researcher, K2 and The Invisible Footmen), William Chiang (Director, Heart of Gaya Street), Nadira Ilana (Resident Filmmaker/Co-Producer, Big Stories Small Towns – Bongkud Namaus, Ranau) and many others.
SUARA COMMUNITY FILMMAKING 2016 is bringing together around 40 community filmmakers from across Sabah, representing 12 communities and 8 community-based organisations. Our aspiring filmmakers – new to the art of community filmmaking – will have the opportunity to attend a special pre-festival workshop in which they will explore creative storytelling in film. They will then undergo an intensive training workshop from October 6th to 9th, developing story ideas and gaining production and post-production skills from our trainer team of Malaysian film-industry professionals.
Our more experienced emerging community filmmakers – veterans of the Suara programme – will further hone their already considerable skills during the workshop, being guided by the trainers to put the final polish on personal film projects which they have been working on throughout 2016.
The public will have the opportunity to witness the fruits of the participants’ labours during a special Suara screening event during the Borneo Eco Film Festival on October 9th,at 6:45pm. All are welcome for the screening.
Suara training workshops are closed events and can be attended by invitation only.
The 2016 programme has already reached capacity.
Free Talks & Workshops
Free Talks: Drone Usage in the Filming and Photography Industry
Drone Usage in The Filming and Photography
Duration: 60 min
Date: Sun, 9th Oct 2016
Venue: 5th Floor, Event Hall, Suria Sabah Shopping Mall
Speaker: Andy Chia Chee Shiong, Karen Chin Won Yee & Yvonne Chin Shuen Meon
A brief introduction of what a drone can do in terms of videography and photography.
Profile: DEEBEE STUDIO a video and film production company base at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Our core business includes, wedding film, events & corporate video. A wedding film and video production company base at Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. We may have heard the same story over and over again but not be tired by it. In fact most of us had been inspired by the re-telling of the same story, either because we heard it at a different point of our life or it was told to us from a different perspective. It is at the heart of DeeBee Studio to make it a point of making your story a timeless one and to present it from our unique perspective that best represent your style. It is not just about the latest available technology and gadgets, more importantly it is about who you are and what you want out of your investment of a video of the most important day of your life or an unforgettable event that will last your lifetime, re-telling it.
Workshop: Beads Workshop
Date: Sat, 8th Oct 2016 | Sun, 9th Oct 2016
Time: 3:00pm – 5:00pm | 10:00am – 12:00noon
Venue: 5th Floor, Event Hall, Suria Sabah Shopping Mall
Magic Borneo Beads is a collection of unique one of a kind pieces of beadwork jewellery. Make your own beads bracelet for RM10 only!
My Eco Snapchat Story Challenge
Calling all students in Sabah. Join BEFF’s My Eco Snapchat Story Challenge. Use Snapchat to show us how you feel about Sabah’s environment and you could be the Borneo Eco Film Festival’s 2016 Eco Challenger!
- Sun, Sand & Sea
- 1st prize RM 500
- 2nd prize RM 300
- 3rd prize RM 200
How to join
- Collect your snaps and save them to memories (don’t forget to use your favourite filters).
- Add your saved snaps to a story using the theme “Sun, Sand & Sea”.
- Include your full name and the name of your school / college / university in your story.
- Export your completed story to your phone.
- Upload your story to BEFF’s My Eco Snapchat Story Challenge Event Page on Facebook [Click the link] or scan QR Code.
- Get your friends to like your story!
- Top-10 finalists will be announced on the 1st October 2016 (see Rules).
- Winners will be announced during the Borneo Eco Film Festival on 8th October 2016 at the 5th Floor of Suria Sabah Shopping Mall (see Rules).
- Closing date is 30th September 2016
- The competition is open to students aged 13 years old and above who are registered at any educational institution in Sabah (secondary schools, colleges, universities).
- Each entry must be a unique, stand-alone story made using Snapchat.
- Entries can be in any Malaysian language (i.e English, BM, Chinese, Tamil, Dusun, Murut etc.)
- Each entry must be 1 minute (minimum) to 3 minutes (maximum) in length.
- All types of snaps allowed except photos from your camera roll / gallery.
- Unlimited number of entries allowed provided that each entry is a unique, stand-alone story.
- Unauthorised use of copyrighted material is strictly prohibited.
- Entries containing offensive material or prohibited content will be disqualified.
- By uploading your entry to BEFF’s My Eco Snapchat Story Challenge Facebook page, entrants agree to allow the Borneo Eco Film Festival to use your entry in screenings and festival promotions.
- Top-10 finalists will be announced on BEFF’s My Eco Snapchat Story Challenge Facebook page on 1st October 2016. All top-10 finalists are required to show your student card to the Secretariat of the Borneo Eco Film Festival at 5pm, on 8th October 2016 at the 5th Floor of Suria Sabah Shopping Mall (“festival venue”).
- Winners will be announced at the Borneo Eco Film Festival on 8th October 2016 at the festival venue. Winners must attend the prize-giving session at the festival venue to be eligible to collect your prize. Winners who are not in attendance will be disqualified and the prize will be awarded to another finalist.
- All judging decisions are final.
- Judging will be based on the following criteria:
|Most likes on the original uploaded post||50|
|Creativity and originality||15|
|Relevance to the theme||10|
|Use of Snapchat features to tell your story||5|